THE RULES of THIS BLOG SITE

Any response that uses inappropriate language, content, or anything else that Mr. Williams would deem offensive will receive an automatic grade of "0" with no hope for resubmitting the post. You are expected to respond in a mature and Godly fashion. Content can talk about topical things (drugs, drinking, relationships, family, sex, God, emotions, etc.), but the delivery of the information should be in such a manner that well represents yourself, your parents and family, CBHS, Mr. Williams, and most importantly, God. I really look forward to your posts. -- Mr. Williams

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Men's Chorus Blog 10

DUE FRIDAY 11/05/10 BY 9:00 AM! For directions, please visit BLOG10 at the CBHS Theatrical & Choral Academic Activities website. I look forward to your posts!

35 comments:

  1. BY WILLIAM BOWLING:

    1) My first impression of the connection between the lyrics and the
    music is that it is long, drawn out, and very angelic in the voices.
    Almost like David is crying out to God and the angels were relaying
    the message to Him. I got this image in my head of the slain Absalom
    on a battlefield and a courier telling the news to David that Absalom
    has fallen. I see one of those richly detailed oil paintings.
    Something that Leonardo de Vinci or Michelagelo might paint.

    2) My thoughts are that I can feel David's pain at hearing that his
    beloved son has been killed. I can feel the weight of the grief that
    is pressing down on him as he cries out to God. There are so many
    breaks in the music to illustrate David hearing the news, recoiling at
    the thought and slowly repeating it. He says it with a stifled and
    taken aback tone. Almost like he is choking on his words.

    3) It's hard to describe my personal reaction to the music. It was
    empowering and at the same time saddening. I got a shiver down my back
    as I listened. The voices not only had an angelic quality to them but
    also a ghostly, haunting tone.

    4) The vocal techniques are a lot of verbrotoe, long, open-mouthed
    vowels, and strong crescendos. I need to add all of those techniques
    in my singing and we need to add all of those techniques to our choir.
    We need to put 150% effort into making the music come alive. We need
    to make the notes on paper become people with our voices. I think we
    are doing a good job but I know that we have great potential and we
    need to work hard to achieve that potential

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) My first impressions of the lyrics and tonal qualities of the piece are of perfect sequence. The crescendo of the chorus brings me to my knees. It's absolutely heartbreaking. The sopranos have the most angelic, weeping, emotional tones, I've ever heard. The men bring in the fury of the father. It's emotion displayed at it's finest. The silences only make the feeling more intense. The tones paint a picture of the scripture. It's just beautiful.

    2) The music absolutely captures the feeling of a father stricken with complete sorrow. The tenors and the basses cry out and the sopranos and altos only bolster the feeling behind the words. Every single aspect of the song rings with passion and emotes images of tears, sadness, and complete depression. The piece is littered with the rise and fall of anger, as if the father immediately lashes out, then rethinks his anger, and finally lashes out with every ounce of his being. Then the piece goes into a cycle of weeping and builds in intensity until you feel the father on his knees pounding his fists into the dirt weeping with all of his heart. The music is repeated to symbolize the father's fall into destitute and depression over the loss of his son. It's absolutely tearjerking. The breaks only intensify the sorrow.

    3) I didn't break out into tears. I felt the emotion of the song and imagined myself in David's shoes. I depicted a man who would give himself and all of his being for his only son, and then I imagined him weeping and lashing out at God for taking his son's life. The chorus depicted a perfect picture in my mind. I felt as though I were David. I came away feeling a lot less happy than I started out feeling, though.

    4) The members of the chorus are obviously singing correctly, but they are not just singing they are feeling the music. They are emoting the drives behind the changes in tones; they are giving purpose to the notes. They are forcing in the listener a reason to feel, to emote, to let themselves dream into the story that is being told. As a class, we can all work on sounding out and feeling the music as we sing. For myself, I can work on finding purpose behind each piece that we sing, so that it resonates in my mind and gives me a storyline to follow along with as I sing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. My first overall impression of the connection between the lyrics, and the music was that it basically set up a mental picture with the morbid tone, low volume, and slow paced rhythm. It basically depicts the father as an angry yet utterly depressed man when he heard the news that his son had been slain.
    2. The music depicts the father in his chamber, showing a series of emotions such as grief and anger. I can picture the father throwing and breaking things and then falling to his knees, weeping inconsolably. I can also picture him on his knees asking God "why? Why did he have two die?"
    3. My personal reaction when I listened to this piece of music was sympathy for the father because I could feel his pain as I was listening. I could hear his cries and feel his rage and I can see a man asking "Why him? Why not me?"
    4. I think a major technique is the emotion that the vocalists sang. The choir also used amazing blending and their crescendo and decrescendo was absolutely perfect. I think that our choir should start singing with more emotion so that the audience will be able to feel the story that the piece of music has deep inside it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) Right off the bat it reminds me of a church service, almost like a worship ceremony or funeral. I like how it starts out with the higher voices then the lower then adding in medium sounding voices to make a very unique blend. Very uplifting as well.

    2) The music really incorporates the sadness of the father and the emotional sad state that he is in. Maybe it is like a pause between the father and the different things he did. It also adds more dramatic effect. I can almost picture the father weeping and grieving over his son.

    3) I really like this piece. Like most of the music we've heard in these blogs this year it tells a story and you can picture it while you're listening to it.

    4) The singers did a great job of playing the pauses, keeping their tones, getting progressively louder throughout their notes, basically everything you tell us to do in class everyday they are doing. If we try our best, listen to what you say; we can sound great because we all have a lot of potential.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1) They were long-held notes that added emphasis to the impact of the loss. The low, begging kind of tone that the singers created made it actually seem like someone crying out.
    2) It was well reached on how the father is so deeply traumatized by the news that he weeps profusely on the spot. It captured the father’s feelings so well that I could see the father, dropped to his knees, crying and begging with tears and snot running down his face with great emotion of darkness and depression. There is different music because it expresses that he still mourns for his son but he starts to go through memories as he is weeping and begging. To show how he is slowly coming to realize that his son is dead but still can’t believe tat his son is gone forever.
    3) I felt bad because I couldn’t imagine having a son lost since I don’t have one even though we were supposed to imagine like we had one but I thought about what if one of my family members had died and that’s when it hit me that it would be as hard as losing someone in my family now if not harder when my son died. It’s so sad and you can’t help but feel a darkness creeping up behind you steadily and that’s when you feel cold is when the absorption of a person’s death completely hits and there’s nothing stopping the tears from flowing down.
    4) They use much crescendo along with much bravado. They hit the constants and vowels like they were biting them like little crumbs. MUST CRESCENDO AND BRAVADO WITH SHARP VOWELS AND CONSTANTS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1) The subtle yet overarching tones of each voice intertwined with my minds image of such loss wrought a somber first impression. With each crescendo of a voice the emotion of the piece sent me from crest to trough on the emotional wave.

    2)I believe the music evokes a deep welling up of infinitely sad melancholic emotions that cover the spectrum of loss. Each break in the music is like the moment before a plunge into icy water.

    3)The music was extremely depressing, but I didn't exactly fall down and cry my self to sleep. I very much enjoyed the music though; the musicality was impressive. Being a musician music does bring out a raw emotion in me, but creating visual art registers on a higher level with me.

    4) All musicians/artist put forth concentrated emotion into each, but each person in this choir is a professional. The do well because they train well and it is what they love to do, BUT it is also their life ambition. What we can take away from this performance is the drive to accomplish a task at hand. We have the potential. We just need to make the potential kinetic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Right off the bat, the tone is very passionate and slow. The volume relatively builds giving it a very nice effect that adds sorrow to the piece of losing the son. The picture is an accurate image I depicted in my head because; I don’t think it should have bright colors. The dark colors impact to the music more showing that it is a sad piece.
    2. I think they women singing high notes help add sorrow to the piece, as well as the low bass singers. The change in tempo throughout the piece to me makes me think of the father going to depression waves, where more parts have more grief than others. I think the repetition of words is the exact words that the father has going through his head, almost like he could have been responsible for what happened to his son.
    3. I thought the piece was really sad it makes me think of a loved one I once lost, but I cannot fathom losing a child.
    4. The changing tempo along with the harmony makes this piece work. The women sing in this piece with tremendous passion that is unlike anything I have heard before. I really enjoyed this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. From the get go i felt pulled in by the sound that the group possessed. The song reminds me of the old medieval themes that are in movies. The haramony is beautiful and really touched me.

    2. The musical composition sounded like one of pain. The voices sounded very sorrowful. They did a great job of showing the connection between the anguish of David.

    3. I felt as though the choir wanted me to feel like David. I began to mellow out. I found myself relating to the lyrics and feeling a deep rooted connection to the song.

    4. The group was great at blending and pronounciation. As a member of this choir I should work on my overall performance and support of my team.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1)my first impressions are that this is based on a sad mood. A mood that is dealing with sorrow but at the same time as it grows it is almost a confidence booster or something to bring you up from sorrow. the tone and rythm used helps to show this very well. it brings out attention while still being a more slow mellow piece by have huge growths in volume. the lyrics go very good with the music.
    2) it is like you can actually feel the grief and pain. the perfomers did an excellent job on bringing out the sorrow and grief. there are repeats to show how the grief goes up and down in feeling. almost as something that has to be accepted but you dont want it to be. it goes up and down so much to show the great emphasis on grief.
    3)i thought the music was actually attention grabbing. the way it is perfomed makes you waiting and eager to hear the next burst of energy that is to come. the performance was very good and sung almost to perfection. every note and verse was as close to perfect as possible.
    4)what makes it so moving is the up and down ride it takes you on almost like a rollercoaster. the energy you feel even at the lowest part also maes it moving. you can almost feel the grief and sadness as it is performed. we can take almost everything from this piece. how the notes are perfectly hit, the rythm, the blending of the voices, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1.) My first impression of this peice when i listen to it is that it is very slow and strong. it reminds me of depressing church song that builds up sound and tempo. I think it is a very nice song to describe the verse and i think it accuratley goes with the painting and the verses.

    2.)I think the song captures the emotions and feelings of the song very well. i think that it goes with the feelings the father is feeling. I think there are so many breaks to show a different mood or feeling that the father is feeling. i can imagine the pain the song is resembling and it is very sad.

    3.)My personal reaction to the music was that it was a very well done peice. i like how the music is used to illustrate a picture and a feeling inside you to show what was being felt. I like how the different voices are used for different tones.

    4.) I think that the vocal techinques are very good. I think that when the choral people are singing that they are feeling the emotions witht he song. I think this helps to make a better song when you can put the feeling and emotions into it. what we need to do is be more passionate about our work. i think we all want to sound good and to do that we are going to have to put a lot of hardwork.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1.My first impression of the connection between the lyrics.It seems that is a sad mood because someone has died.I agree with Mark the dark colors impact to the music more showing that it is a sad piece.

    2.I think this song captures emotion very well. You can hear the tone in the singers voice when he finds out his son dies. It changes and you can image if you were their and how a person in that state would sound.

    3.The music was depressing. It was also well done.I agree with Archer, as I said before the singers did a good job of singing and I felt as if I could visually see this in front of me while listening to this piece.I really like music that I can visualize things while just listening to the song.

    4.I think that the vocal techinques are very good.I think that our choir should start singing with more emotion so that the audience will be able to feel the story that the piece of music has deep inside it. I think I can help by working on my singing and helping others as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1. The music and clears connected very well. The way the artists portrayed the scripture passage tonally helped me to grasp it more emotionally than if sung in a more formal or different version. The various changes in volume and shifts between low and high notes created a very strong portrayal of a powerful message.

    2. As you listen, you can relate to David’s loss in that the performers captured the scene extremely well. The overwhelming grief need not be stated due to the strong portrayal of the message. The breaks help to create a sense of solitude and contemplation, allowing the listener to grasp the song and its lyrics much better. Changing the way it sounds helps to improve and bring variety to the same five lines as the song goes on.

    3. Although it sounded very well done and the message was powerful enough, I started to feel like I was losing interest as time went on. I was sure exactly at what time it was, but I enjoyed it – to a point.

    4. It’s obvious that the choir used strong diction, vowels, and consonants. They stylized slow rhythm of the song helped to make the piece emotionally moving instead of simply something just to listen to. In order for us to sound that way, we must learn to put emotion into our music.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1) My first impression of both the lyrics and the music was very depressing and heart dropping. The image that was but in my head was of David on his knees praying to God with a powerful sound of voice. With each crescendo of a voice the emotion of the song grew more powerful. They did a good job on their rhythm and volume control.
    2) My thoughts on the emotional state was that you could almost feel David s pain and sorrow, for the lost of his son. There are repeats to show how the pain that David is feeling, by going up and down the breaks in the song show that. It is repeated like that over and over again to show the important s of David sorrow and pain.
    3) My personal reaction to the music was very powerful to me. It made me focus and listen harder to the words. Then when it ended It made me wanna play it over and over again.
    4) They use much crescendo along with much bravado. They hit the constants and vowels perfectly. The group and I must crescendo and bravado more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 1.my fist impression of the lyrics and the piece itself was kind of overwhelming. they really hit the parts hard and made it feel very emotional. i can just see exactly what is going on through the singing.
    2. emotionally you can feel everything that David could feel. he has lost what is most dear to him. it all relys on the singers and they brought this emotion out.
    3.my reaction to the singing was one of sorrow and it also seemed to scare me. which i dont like. music shouldn't do that. i felt like i was in a Dracula movie. i like calmer and more joyful music. and sam's response to this question may be the most kiss ass thing i have ever read.
    4. vocally i could tell that they were hitting all of their notes and vowels. also the volume changed when needed and that really brought the affect along with it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1. My first impression is that this song is very strong and moving. It paints a very good mental picture of someone crying about the death of a loved one. All the voices make a great sound that is caring and uplifting.

    2. The people performing this have done an extremely good job of capturing what this song is about and put the right amount of emotion into it to make it sound like that. The breaks are there to give you time to look back at the lyrics and fully understand them. The difference in sound is showing that ever time they sing that the emotion gets stronger.

    3. My reaction to this piece is that it is one of my favorites songs we have listened to and it is one of my favorite choral pieces. This song is very calming but still sad.

    4. The vocal techniques are very strong. They have great diction, pitch, consonants, and vowels. If they hadn't put as much emotion into it then it would sound very different. We need to start to put more emotion into the song and try to relate more to the lyrics

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1. When I heard this song, it made me think of dark, rainy, depressing days. It sounds like something that you would hear in a movie when the king or hero has died.
    2. The slow tempo of the music makes it sound much sadder than a normal beat would. When a father looses a son, it would make him more distraught than anything that has happened to him. The stop and repeats make it like day and night. The grieving never stops but takes a short rest then intensfies.
    3. When I was listening, I thought about my grandfathers funeral and death.
    4. The technique i notice most is the voice projection and clear pitch change without slurs. If we could do this effectively, we would sound much better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. 1.) My first impression of the music when listening and reading the lyrics was that it was a sad song because David is mourning the loss of Absalam and in the music it has a slow mournful tone and drawn out vowels.

    2.)My thoughts on how the music captures the thought of a father whos son has passed are that the line "my son" is repeated over and over again is used to capture his emotion on losing his son.

    3.)I really enjoyed this piece because of its dark tone and the many individual climaxes throughout the song.

    4.)Breathing techniques deffinatly helped produce the sound in the piece because the singers had long drawn out verses to sing and perfect blending was another quality. What I should add is breathing before we begin singing on time with the teacher because if I take a well timed breath before singing my voice is stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1) My first impressions of was the connection between the lyrics and the song went well because it was sad lyrics that went with the almost depressing sounding music just from the tone of the singing. You could also tell that it was a dramatic and sad song with the voices getting louder at points.
    2) It captures the emotional state of a father through the dramatic and sad tone. I think the high pitched voices mixed in with really low pitched voices somewhat gives it that affect as well.
    3) The performers or the choir is really talented it is a little too dark and gloomy for my liking.
    4) What brings the whole piece together and makes it sound good I believe is the mixing of the high pitched voices with the real low pitched they mix well together even at the high points during the song the low pitched voices dont fade out they stay with the high pitched voices.

    ReplyDelete
  19. 1) I see a father on his knees cursing the world that his son has died wanting to have been in his place sot hat he could live. His sorrow and pain come from the power in the song.
    2) The breaks are like when your crying so hard you can't even create sounds. The power is from how they project so loudly like David yelling for his son to come back.
    3) Its very powerful and caught my ear once it got going on the crescendos and their blending techniques. It made me listen closely because of how great it sounded.
    4) They were able to project their voices and crescendo when needed perfectly. In class I could project more and the group could work on its crescendos along with bravado.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My first impression of the piece it’s dreary, drawn out and that it starts off that the father is very hurt then he gets the news about his son Absalom and that’s when the crescendo starts, which is personally the best part to me.
    2. The music depicts the very sadness of the father in his chambers sobbing over the fact that his son has been slain. It becomes very dramatic and for at least 6 minutes straight they sing “My Son” and every pause in between my son is a deep weep of a cry for dramatic effect.
    3. The music really lets your mind roam and picture what we think is going on; we know for sure that the music incorporates a sadness of losing a son. At first I could really feel the pain that the father was going through until he started weeping for such a long time. Then I could get back into the piece when the rest of the story was finished.
    4. The pausing in between the cries was done perfectly and the singers really did an outstanding job on them. The singers actually want us listeners to feel the trauma of the story and the sadness that comes with a lost in a family.

    ReplyDelete
  21. 1.) The slow melodic verses show grieving for a lost son. This is powerful and reveal the deep emotion in the father's heart which makes for an intense piece of music

    2.)The father's sadness is shown by the dramatization of the piece. The repetition of the lines in the song show the struggle of the father to accept his loss.

    3.)The piece depressed me. They sadness invoked by the song captured the emotions everyone feels when they lose a loved one and this song really captured that feeling

    4.) The emotion was theatrical, which made for huige crescendos and great diction. These guys really knew what they were doing and their combined talent made for an excellent piece.

    ReplyDelete
  22. 1) The lyrics are almost a parallel to the scripture as far as i can tell. i can't really hear the words very clearly but i can make out most of them but not all. They do seem to be very close to the scripture though. The tone, however is exactly the same. They are both very tragic and convey a very sad and helpless meaning.
    2) David is obviously very disheartened when he got the news of Absolom's death. The tone seems to be a very tragic and slightly enraged yet helpless one. At one point, it seems that David will give up all hope, but, as we all know, he does not. The words are repeated over and over because it is a short but very meaningful passage. It packs a huge punch in only a few short words.
    3) My personal reaction is that i feel his sadness. I feel that there are many different aspects to David's state and this song truly shows them well. I feel that it would make a man fall to his knees upon being hit with this song or the news of a son's death.
    4) The vocal tecniques used are sharp crescendos and a shrill pitch at times. They use the unique voice of every chorister to show all angles of the sadness and tragedy. It paints a picture of David's state. They use like all but a few of the singers to sing the basic part but a few others sing a different pitch and it truly stands out. I believe that I should emulate the varrying tones and pitches and general smoothness to become the Rico Suave f choir.

    ReplyDelete
  23. 1) My impression of this song is that of a father (David) who is in agonizing pain over his lost son (Absalom). The sheer sound of this piece sends shivers running down my spin. The music is very inspirational yet saddening at the same time.
    2) David is crying out at the thought of his son dying in battle. He seems helpless and extremely depressed. It seems as if David is on the brink of giving up all hope.
    3) I first heard this song in Mr. Williams' Theatre History class. I searched it on youtube last year and listen to it every now and then for inspiration. If my son died in battle I would fall to the ground and tremble. This song really depicts David's state of utter sadness.
    4) The voices of the Chorus seem to paint a picture of David in his tower crying out for Absalom. The vocal techniques used seem to represent crying and screaming at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. 1) My first impression was the haunting darkness to the music, and the depth of emotion. The emotion of the music was unfathomably deep and powerful. The notes show the buildup of emotion and it's pouring out at the death of Absalom.
    2) The music attempts to mirror the emotional state of someone who has suffered intense grief. The breaks in the music, along with the repition of the same line differently, accomplish this magnificently by showing the realization of grief and the shock that does not go away. The stabbing effect of the repition is used to hammer in the grief and pain of the song.
    3) As I listened to the music, I actually found myself sharing the sense of loss. This means the music was very powerful, because I have been lucky enough not to lose a close family member. Yet, this music was still able to enrapture me and drag me along its path of grief.
    4) The most important part of this piece musically is the meaning all the singers impart into their indiviual singing. All of them have an intense saddness that they are focusing on as they are singing that allows them to actually sing as though it was they who had lost a child. The combination of all of their grief, painted, clarified, and focused in the singing, is what gives the piece meaning. If we mean what we sing, and sing what we mean, we can accomplish this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  25. 1) I think of a church service, or a funeral or something like that. The blending of the different voices really bring out the depth of the piece.

    2) I can almost picture the father weeping and grieving over his son. The music really incorporates the sadness of the father and the emotional sad state that he is in. Maybe it is like a pause between the father and the different things he did. It also adds more dramatic effect.

    3) I really like this piece. Like most of the music we've heard in these blogs this year it tells a story and you can picture it while you're listening to it.

    4) The singers did a great job of playing the pauses, keeping their tones, getting progressively louder throughout their notes, basically everything you tell us to do in class everyday they are doing. If we try our best, listen to what you say; we can sound great because we all have a lot of potential.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The music seemed to have the same sorrow as the faters heart.

    This music captures the faters anguish. The stop and go seems as if it is stream of though.

    I have nothing to compare it to, but I can simpathise with David.

    Drawing out the notes would help us all sing like this.

    ReplyDelete
  27. 1. My first impression was of a very epic story. The lyrics mixed with the music give the story a very lengendary feel.
    2. Maybe the father was only thinking the same thing over and over again, and every once in a while it would stop, then start back up again.
    3. I liked it, although it was kind of depressing. It had a lot of thought put into it.
    4.lots of crescendos, and a few voice solos. each singer is portraying the same emotion with their vocies.

    ReplyDelete
  28. 1. The tone is passionate and low. The volume builds giving it a very nice effect that adds sorrow to the piece of losing the son. The picture is an accurate image and I saw it in my head.
    2. I think they women singing high notes help add sorrow to the piece, as well as the low base singers. The change in tempo makes me think of the depression. I think the repetition of words is the exact words that the father has going through his head, almost like he could have been responsible for what happened to his son.
    3. I thought the piece was really sad it makes me think of a loved one I once lost, but I cannot fathom losing a child.
    4. The changing tempo along with the harmony makes this piece work. The women sing in this piece with tremendous passion that is unlike anything I have heard before. I really enjoyed this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  29. 1) My first impression was something sort of dark and deep like an old church or something. Everything was very powerful and loud.
    2) The music does a great job capturing emotions of the father. The breaks and repeats symbolize the frantic mind of a father when he loses his son. He is so grief stricken.
    3) It was okay. It did not put me in the best mood in the world, but it made me feel like i had to be sad about something even though i was fine.
    4) The singers use good vowels and take pauses precisely at the right time to make this peice sound really sad. They also crescendo to make the music loud and forboding.

    ReplyDelete
  30. 1 when i 1st heard the piece i though it was kinda like a church service going on at the time.
    2 I think that it does a good job makeing the emotions come out of people.
    3 not the best piece to listen to. i think this piece is not to be listen to if you wanted to be cheer uped.
    4 THe singers have good voices and takes good breaks thoughout the song. plus it pretty sad in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  31. 1) This piece was very loud and it really had power in a lot of the parts. It kind of reminds you of old church hymns. The music kind of drowned out some of the lyrics though.
    2) The fathers emotions are definitely portrayed well in this song. The confusion in the song really shows how the father feels after his loss.
    3) This song would be a great one to listen to if i wanted to cry. I wouldn't suggest this song if you were in a walking on the sunshine mood.
    4) The singers did a great performance. The sang everything well even though it had a sad mood. The did a good job portraying the sadness in the song.

    ReplyDelete
  32. 1) The lyrics are kind of lost in the strong and moving emotion and the overall exprience that is shown in the power of this piece. Very stong singers with strong voices bring out the lyrics with a punch,
    2) i think the repeat is kind of like when a person says to them selves in dramatic situations like did that really happen. as the piece goes on you can hear the emotion really come out through the volume until towards the end where it gets softer and the acceptance of the death comes.
    3) A little to long but i could see why this needs to be little longer than most songs. Strong emotion in this song.
    4) the emotion of losing some one and past expierences can help when singing a piece like this. The bledning and volume controll while still anunciating.

    ReplyDelete
  33. 1. My first immpression was horrible, i hate this piece, i dont know if it was just the sound of just the way they tried to fit the music to the words, but i didnt like it at all.
    2. i think it did a great job caturing the saddness of a man whose son is dead, and i believe the stops where just show the unpridicatablity in a mans behavior, and but enphisise of certin phrases and words.
    3. I was wanting to turn it off the entire time because i personally hated the whole thing.
    4.I can pick out the techniques, but i can ssay the our choir needs much more passion for singing if we plan on this chir being made a huge part of CBHS.

    ReplyDelete
  34. 1) this conects to the scripture by using repition and it sounds very "chanty" to me. this sounds like something monks would be singing on the way to mass.
    2)well this repats what probably was on davids mind " oh my son" and the breaks bring out the sadness and in my mind i picture him taking a break to cry .
    3)this piece made me feel sadness for david .
    4)this peice uses repition to get the point across.

    ReplyDelete
  35. 1) The subtle yet overarching tones of each voice intertwined with my minds image of such loss wrought a somber first impression. With each crescendo of a voice the emotion of the piece sent me from crest to trough on the emotional wave.

    2.MY thoughts are that I can feels Daivds pain. He just lost a son. No parent should ever have to bury their child. It should be the other way around.Parents want to see their children grow up and become something of themselves not to see them die.
    3.This was long but the emotion that went behind it was full of sorrow.
    4.I agree with Ben, The changing tempo along with the harmony makes this piece work. The women sing in this piece with tremendous passion that is unlike anything I have heard before. I really enjoyed this piece.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.