THE RULES of THIS BLOG SITE

Any response that uses inappropriate language, content, or anything else that Mr. Williams would deem offensive will receive an automatic grade of "0" with no hope for resubmitting the post. You are expected to respond in a mature and Godly fashion. Content can talk about topical things (drugs, drinking, relationships, family, sex, God, emotions, etc.), but the delivery of the information should be in such a manner that well represents yourself, your parents and family, CBHS, Mr. Williams, and most importantly, God. I really look forward to your posts. -- Mr. Williams

Monday, September 20, 2010

Men's Chorus Blog 4

DUE WEDNESDAY 9/22/10 BY 8:00 AM! For directions, please visit BLOG4 at the CBHS Theatrical & Choral Academic Activities website. I look forward to your posts!

37 comments:

  1. 1) The first group annunciates perfectly and has this sense of energy and drive throughout the piece. It makes them very entertaining and interesting to listen to. They use diaphragmatic breathing and they OPEN their mouths. This all amplifies and crafts their sound to exceptional levels.

    2)Evn though the music is older, there is a definite rise and fall, chorus, and solo; many of our pieces incorporate this as well. If we approach our music with energy and drive, our sound will be just as dazzling as theirs was. We can incoporate focusing on technique and voal harmony in order to improve our overall sound.

    3) I liked the first piece more, because of it's tonal qualities and rich sound experience. Every time the chorus rushed into the "fionnghuala," I felt this rush like I was running or moving. The whole piece just had this flow to it. I was surprised at the very end. I wanted it to continue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. The performers of Anuna are using well-practiced choral blending as well as strong vowels and powerful (yet comprehendible) volume. It’s extremely impressive how well they sound with such a small group of people. They sing with a tall tone and open their mouths which helps to create a resonate sound in the front of their faces projecting forward into their audience.

    2. Even though the music is Celtic, it works to demonstrate proper usage of correct vocal techniques especially emphasizing on proper form. In order to make our own choir to sound as rivetingly powerful as Anuna we need to focus on the same things they are strong in such as tall vowels, popping consonants, good volume and diction, blending, listening to the other singers around us, to be confident in our performance, and exercise proper breathing.

    3. My favorite piece is "Fionnghuala." It’s well done and powerful and demonstrates a very professional style of diction (although we don’t know what exactly is being said, we can discern the words they are all singing) and Anuna accounts for a very powerful blend of voices. I simply just liked the fast pace and up-beat style of the piece as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Well on the first video, the first thing I noticed was that each of the singers had their own head set mic. However, one thing I did notice was that the soloist on this video kept his mouth relatively closed through most of the song. I’m not sure if he was doing that intentionally or if the words were too fast to allow it. On the second video, first thing I found myself thinking was that these performers had to have much more training, because not only were they sing but also walking around which requires them to focus on more than one thing. Also the use of female vocals enhanced both of the performances dramatically. (in my opinion)
    2. In the second video, their style took advantage of tall, long words. They very much so elongated the vowels and shortened the consonance. In the first video however, they took advantaged and used to its fullest extent the idea that you have thought us of making the words bouncy.
    3. I and I’m sure most everyone else, liked the first video better, it was more fun to listen to, more interesting to watch, and was more upbeat. Over all it was more appealing to teenagers then the second video. It was slower and was less fun to watch and listen to, even thought physically they were doing more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. The choral group, Anuna, used the vocal techniques of singing with a prominent open mouth, singing in front of themselves, projecting, elongating the vowels, tying each consonant together, and singing with a tall, deep rich tone. Each techniques helps to blend each voice beautiful with the next voice; consequently, a wonderful sound is formed.
    2. The singing style of Anuna is similar in respect to the fluidity of how we are suppose to sing (most of the time). As a group we can each incorporate a taller sound, which will blend our voices together better.
    3. My favorite numbers of the two Celtic songs was "Media Vita." I prefer this one to "Fionnghuala" because I found the the fast solo part somewhat overwhelming. "Media Vita" was a wonderful piece because it had a rich blend of lower tones that had a tall sound.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1.)The group Anuna used various vocal techniques such as the elongated mouths to project the voice infront of the singer, proper pronunciation, and bouncing their bodies to help create a correct tone.
    2.)One similarity to the old style they are singing to ours is the 4/4 time signature. What we can do to make our songs more driving is to force our sound at the front of our mouths to produce a strong masculine sound.
    3.)My favorite peice was Fionnghuala because of the fast pace and the ability to stay on beat of the other singers, also it sounded more complete to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1.) in the first coral group the singers do an extradinary job of having a complete sound. they opened their mouths, breathed from their core, sang in front of themselves while producing every vowel well. this coral group shows great experience and dedication with their spectacular sound.

    2.) this group shows the techingues that we are trying to incorporate into our sound. they keep tall sound correct vowels. i think that we can try to have more confidence and really open our mouths and singing the vowels correctly while having good volume.

    3.)i liked the second video more because i can really understand what they are singing. they have a nice rich sound that i enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1) This group shows techniques such as rhythm, tone, and they all sing at the front of their math and pronounce all of their vowels and constanants correctly. It takes their sound very unique and very graceful.
    2) They sing very tall and at the beginning all of their voices catch harmony,If we all sing our parts the right way and on time and pronounce our words right like you said, we will all sound a lot better.
    3) I like the second one more because it reminds me of one of the warm ups in class. To me, they are one of the best groups i have heard on the blogs so far.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1.) The lead in the first video use fast consonance for a nice effect for his Gaelic language. With this they still had great diction and a great overall sound.

    2.) They use proper singing techniuqe, which is our ultimate goal. Making the best of our sound is what we need to strive for if we wish to sound remotely close to these choral groups.

    3.)I prefered the first video. It was exciting, full of life and very abstract compared to any modern music. It used great methods to produce a big sound, especially the staggered effect which almost created a reverse vocal effect. Very interesting approach to music

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1. They use for tall diction and pronounce their words with a great sound. They pulled the sound out as well.
    2. They have a great sound and they make their sound very tall. They projected themselves.
    3. I am a fan of the first one. The sound was different. I had t adjut myself to the sound and I was taken in by the music.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1)The first group annunciates perfectly and has this sense of energy throughout the piece. It makes them very entertaining listen to. They open their mouths. This all amplifies and creates their beautiful sound.
    2)The singing style of the second video is similar of how we are suppose to sing. As a group we can each make a taller sound, which will blend our voices together better.
    3)I liked the first video. It was exciting and very similar to any modern music.The whole piece just flowed together perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. The 1st group had outstanding pronunciation of their vowels. This allowed them to flow together. I enjoyed it although I didnt really know what they were saying.
    2.They use similar movements of the mouth that we use to warm up, but instead they are using this shape the whole time. If we sung like that we would be much better.
    3.I liked the 1st video the most. It kept my attention because they were full of energy. I think one reason I liked it so much is because everyone seems to be mocking that one guy just like in class you tell us to mock you in order to improve our voices

    ReplyDelete
  12. The first group was exciting and the guy in the front was really into the song, and clearly it was a very hard piece because the sequence was so fast and there was alot of repetitveness, which made the song very tricky.
    There jaws are dropped and they and they do have the same movements that we have when we do our warm ups. (good point mawuli), my favorute of the two would have to be the first group theirs was the most excitings and had a good rhythym to it and it caught my attention becasuse I kept replaying it to try and see what the guy in the from was saying.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1)The group in the first video sung in a fast pace and sung in a gaelic sound that blended well. In the second video the group sung more slow, full, and older sound.
    2)Some things that are similar to what we do is drop our mouths and in the way that they use a lot of energy which we do somtimes. In some of the songs in requires a different kind of dialect that the group uses.
    3)I liked the first video mainly because the fact that it was pretty unique. It was fast and im sure very difficult to prenounce the words they do at such a pace. It was not much like other chorus videos I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. 1. The choral group Anuna seems like a very well rehearsed group. Their blending is very extraordinary, and their diction is excellent as well. What really impressed me was their good articulation, because I could understand every word that they are saying. This makes their sound as a group much louder and makes the group have a better sound.
    2. Even though the music is old, the techniques- articulation, core sound, and good blending can be used in any music. In our choir, we can use these techniques to make an over all better quality sound and make the music that we sing more appealing to people who might not be interested in the genre of music that we are singing.
    3.My favorite was the first piece. Not only was I impressed by how fast the soloist's mouth was moving, but I was also impressed that I could understand each word that he was saying (even though it was in another language)

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1. the coral group seemed to really focus on being clear and not overly loud. they all sang spot on and anunciated properly. this makes there sound very smoothe and clear. it almost makes it pop.
    2. well some songs we do are not in our native language just like they are doing. we also have songs where we sing quiter. we should incourporate stronger singing not just being loud. also annunciation and clear diction.
    3. i liked the first one becuase it was more up beat and just seemed cooler. i liked that it was softly sung but loud and very clear.

    ReplyDelete
  19. 1. The first group is incredibly experienced and rehearsed. They sang at a much faster pace. They have great diction and project their voices forward

    2. The second group sang at a much slower pace compared to the first. This group is what we want to sing like. They sing tall which is what we want to do.

    3. My favorite of the 2 was the first video. It was fast paced and made me want more, the other video was rather slow. The only part that i made me listen to it was when the drum started to beat and made me focus.

    ReplyDelete
  20. 1) You can really tell that they project and annunciate and have rich sound to what they sing. I feel as if they have a great confidence in what they are signing and it shows.

    2) I think we need to have more confidence in our ability to sing but what they are singing reminds me of the latin song we are singing i mean i be they dont know what they are saying and neither do we but doesnt mean we cant make it sound good.

    3) The Second one was my favorite because i liked how it was more darker and seemed to really show the masculinity that a mens chorus can have. The first one was just a little to random for my taste. I think we need to annunciate more to achieve their sound.

    ReplyDelete
  21. 1) They are using overtone, flipping of the words, and full consonants and vowels with much bravado. It creates one totally awesome sound that we could only hope to get after a full year or two of vocal training. It’s just so good that they make it look very professional which it is.
    2) We need to ALWAYS have quick, sharp consonants and strong full vowels. We need to incorporate the use of bravado which would make most of our pieces sound cool. Overtone is always useful and will be used in nearly every song we song so knowing how to single out our own portions of the singing would definitely help us to create an overtone.
    3) I like the Fionnghuala because I like how they flip the consonants and how that one guy can sing those words that fast. I also like the Fionn better because it’s subtle yet still strong and hearable. I don’t like the second one not because it’s not good but that the combination of their excellent, LOUD voices gives me a headache. The second video is fine in that it sounds like a choir but to me it sounds too similar to a regular choir that’s singing., not that there’s anything wrong with it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. 1) Anúna is a phenomenal vocal group with a very distinct celtic style. I am always very impressed with music arranged in this way. There are so many harmonic parts mixed in with the main melody, and the resulting sound consistently makes a lasting impression on me. Each of the members of the chorus has an ear for music (without which the harmonies would be a disaster), and this helps the whole group to always be on pitch and in tune with each other. Good enunciation allows the audience to understand (well, HEAR, anyway) each word being sung. This is a true choral group, and because of this, I cannot help but imagine our own group reaching the same level of musicality as this professional performance-quality chorus.

    2) Obviously, because these vocalists are professionals, they put a lot of energy into their performance. Their primary goal is to produce a sound and a show that is both musically and visually pleasing. This is an extremely difficult thing to do. Proper shape of the mouth to correctly pronounce vowels (which I still have yet to master) aids the performers in their quest for the perfect sound. Our chorus, as a whole, must learn to open our mouths and sing with tall vowel sounds, short consonants, and good breath control.

    3) “Media Vita” was my personal favorite of the two pieces. I loved the interesting sound from “Fionnghuala,” but I have been a long-time fan of traditional “high church” Latin music. “Media Vita” reminds me of just that. I admire the beautiful tone of each singer (especially the soloist) and the fact that it is in Latin is just an extra that adds beauty and exotic intrigue to the performance.

    ReplyDelete
  23. 1) In the first video the singers do a good job of blending together, and making a good sound come out of the individual singers mouth. Their mouths are wide open and they also do a good job of projecting their sound to the audience.
    2) Some of the similar things we are doing is trying to produce sound like them with our mouths open. We could also try to put as much effort into it as they have.
    3. I was impressed with the first peice because it was such a clean and pure sound. You could really hear everything they were saying. I also liked that it had a fast pace and the second one was a little slow for my tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  24. 1) In both groups they full open and project their sound. The blending is also done very well by both groups.
    2) We have to learn to project our voices along with singing louder. We can also try our best to blend like they do when it is needed.
    3) The second piece it reminds me of old school Catholic churches with a huge choir. I liked it cause of its fullness and its blending it sounded like what we are trying to get in our class. The first one was a little fast and it sounded odd but it was still a good piece.

    ReplyDelete
  25. 1. I noticed that heavy harmony is used in this piece; I enjoyed listening to this music. It was fast pace and fun, even though I couldn’t understand the words, I could relate to music emotionally. Strong pronunciation was used, and it created a beautiful effect. They sung with passion and all in unison, I would enjoy doing work like this in class.

    2. The singers are singing in very tall voices, we can incorporate this in our singing for a better sound. They really exaggerate the pronunciation of their words, as well. Also, multiple harmonies are used. We could practice more of this and incorporate it in our singing. I know we don’t have women in our choir, so all the harmonies reached in this piece can’t be done, but we could still find harmonies that we can perform beautifully.

    3. Definititley Fionnghuala, it was the most entertaining because it kept me on the edge of my seat, it wasn’t too slow or too fast. The sound harmony was beautiful and fun. I think it was the pace of the music that stuck out to me the most, so far in class the tempo of the songs we sing aren’t tremendously fast, but I expect that to change when we improve our singing skills and our music reading abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  26. 1) There is a lot going on here. There is melodic genious but there is more harmony than anything. It is very nice. The singers are all on pitch and really make lovely music.
    2) I agree that we are not near good yet. However, maybe we could just practice a little more, but the big thing is we all need to grow a pair of balls and sing out. This is what we are lacking, a big hairy set of nuts.
    3)I liked the first one. It made me really want to see Hays Hammond in hobbit gear rivwerdancing. It was exciting and really a joy to listen to the harmonious qualities and passion in every singer's voice.

    ReplyDelete
  27. 1) the harmony and notes are put together well with the speed. good pronounciation and good full volume on pitch.
    2)We are doing old type music too and we can take itno consideration the noun and consenent pronounciation. also the harmony and melody.
    3)i likd tyhe first better than the second. i liked the speed and how they put it together almost perfectly. the volume was great and it was very full

    ReplyDelete
  28. 1. The first group had very good harmony. They used short consanance and long vowels which made their voices sound pure and very good.
    2. The singers pronunciate their words and have a harmony that sounds amazing. If we could do this on a normal basis, we would be a great choir.
    3. I liked the first piece more because of the purity of the sound. You could hear the things they were singing and it still sounded very good. It deffinitely did not sound nasally like we do every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I liked the coriography of the 2nd video. Even though I do not always understand what is being said, I get a mental image of the convaied feelings. I am not sure how to convey How I know what the feeling is it is like a gut instinkt.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The vocals for the video were outstanding. I heard the verbrato(e) *I don't know how to spell the word* It was clear and I could hear what they were saying. It was amazing how the sound was out in front of them. It was like I was being pulled into the screen

    ReplyDelete
  31. 1) The first video showed how good these professional singers have become at enunciating their vowels when they sing. Also, they harmonized and blended with each other. The sound of the women and men together was amazing.
    2) I think the energy this group brings to every piece they sing brings out a great sound from all of them. I think we could improve our sound by adding more energy to our singing, which would allow us to enunciate all our vowels better.
    3) I have been listening to Celtic music since I was little, so I had heard Fionnghuala before. But this was the first time that I had heard Media Vita. They really brought out the majesty of Latin into the song. Since Latin requires you to pronounce every vowel in a word, it has the basis of being a beautiful language to sing in.

    ReplyDelete
  32. 1) I was amazed at how fast the lead singer could speak and still pronounce each vowel perfectly. Then I heard him do the same thing but also fluctuating his volume. It was unbelievable how the backgroung singers could sing that fast while keeping perfect vowels and blend perfectly.

    2) The chordes they are singing are similar to what we are singing. We both do that thing where one group holds a note while another group sings on top of it. We could incorporate a drum, or some movements. These people do sort of a play.

    3) I like the second one because it has a more ancient sound to it than the first one. I like that it is slow and you can easily pick out each word they are saying, whereas in the first one you really have to listen hard to hear what they are saying.

    ReplyDelete
  33. 1. Each part has their own specific element of the song that when it comes together works into the whole end product that makes it sound good. Each singer has to know their part.
    2. We are learning how to sing 3 part and 4 part songs. As we get further oriented with this we can figure out how to come together as a whole.
    3. The second one is better. More of a rhythm and it sounds as if everything works together better. The first sounds jumbly.

    ReplyDelete
  34. 1. This group uses many vocal techniques that we have been using in our warm ups and singing. They have good diction, tall voices, and they blended so well. It makes their sound become one sound and they all enunciate to the point where you can hear every vowel and consonant perfectly.
    2. This type of music is very similar to what we are doing, it's a classic sound. They are so powerful, and they can drive their sound with so much for because they use more energy. We could try to imitate the way they shape their mouths as they sing.
    3. I like Fionnghuala more because it is a faster paced song and it did a better job of keeping my attention, and it just over all sounded better. The group does an excellent job in this piece to drive their music to the audience.

    ReplyDelete
  35. 1.the first thing i noticed is the blending sounded near perfect. what really made the people in two videos sound great was the way there voices acted like puzzle pieces and together made an amazing sound.
    2. There music is very similar to ours because they are still blending different types of voices to harmonize with each other. We can take there ability blend with each other, there annunciation, and there passion
    3. I Enjoyed the first piece better. The reason i liked them better is simply because the people in there group sounded amazing together.

    ReplyDelete
  36. 1. The definition of each word is perfect. You can actually hear every little word as its own separate entity, yet they all blend together beautifully.
    2. We need to work on blending and making all of our vowels sound the same. It sounds sort of trashy when everyone has a different pronunciation of the same work, it makes it hard for the piece to unify.
    3. I like Fionnghuala because of the sharpness of the tone, it cuts through the air and delivers a short but powerful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  37. 1 each word of the group is different but special in their own ways the use of their blending is good.
    2 The type of music is similar to the style we perform at school.
    3. I personally enjoy the last piece the best, because i thought out of all the groups the last one was the best.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.